off the top of my head

jelentés / meaning:
kapásból (mondok meg valamit), 
-(de nem vagy benne 100%-ig biztos)

from quick recollection, without research or calculation; - a phrase used when giving quick and approximate answers to questions, to indicate that a response is not necessarily accurate.


példák / examples:
  • Mary: How much do you think this car would be worth on a trade? Fred: Well, right off the top of my head, I'd say about a thousand.
  •  Tom: What time does the morning train come in? Bill: Off the top of my head, I don't know.
  • Off the top of my head I could probably only name about three women artists.
  • I can't recall what exactly he said off the top of my head, but it was cruel!
  • Off the top of my head, I think we have 4 bottles of wine in the cellar. (we may have 3 or 5, but this is my best guess)
  • Off the top of my head, I'd say Mary is 45 years old. (She appears to me to be about 45, but I could be wrong!)
  • Off the top of my head, I´d say...