sound somebody out about something

jelentés / meaning:
megkérdezi valaki véleményét egy adott dologban, kikérdez valakit valamiről

  •  to try to find out what someone thinks (about something)
  • to question (someone) in order to discover (opinions, facts, etc.)
 példák / examples:
  • I don't know what Jane thinks about your suggestion, but I'll sound her out.
  • John was keen on knowing what Sarah thought of his new movie. He wanted me to sound her out.”  
  • You should sound him out about the matter.
 
Ask him out or not? (source:forum of TheSite.org )
  • A: Ok, some quick advice needed people!
    Guy at work - I like him - I want to ask him out - I'm scared he'll say no and then work will be really weird - how will I face him? We don't work in the same office but we would have to see each other every morning and potentially pass each other during the day.
    What should I do?? One of my male co-workers was trying to sound him out subtly
  • B: Have you had any signs that he also likes you? Are you both single? 
  • A: Both single. Have had a few flirty conversations and one majorly flirty text conversation! One of my male co-workers was trying to sound him out subtly and doesn't think (through male intuition) that he's looking for a relationship. But how would I know if I never asked?